Wednesday 25 December 2013

Surfer's Paradise, Byron Bay and Coffs Harbour

Mo here,

Once arriving in Surfer's Paradise on the Gold Coast we didn't have much time to relax (again) before having to go out for dinner. Then after dinner we went out to enjoy the nightlife of the city. Some of us who were going skydiving in the morning decided to pull an all-nighter and watch the sunrise since we had to be up at 6AM to catch the bus anyway.

Canadian crew on tour: Randy, Ashley, Shyla and I
Surfer's Paradise waking up
After the sun rose I had a quick shower and left for the Gold Coast Skydive place. I signed my life away for the third time, suited up, had a small lesson, and before I knew it I was in a plane going up 14,000 feet above the beach. What an amazing view! I sat with my instructor strapped to me in the  emergency exit row seat waiting for the green light. Except this time I would actually be using the exit to leave the plane. Once the light came on I sat in the door and we pushed off the plane and fell towards the earth in a controlled spiral. We free-fell for about 30 seconds and then had about a 2 minute parachute flight to the drop zone on the beach. I have a video of the entire flight which I will upload with the bunjy jump when I get free unlimited internet somewhere.


After the skydive we headed back to the hotel. I slept for 7 hours, laid out by the pool, had some dinner and went out into town again for the night. In the morning we were up early and went to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where we saw all kinds of aussie animals and I held a koala as well!




After the wildlife sanctuary we drove to the lighthouse at Byron Bay which is located at the most eastern point of the Australian mainland. 



Once in Byron Bay we had a pretty chill night just hanging out on our balcony overlooking the streets below.
New friends from Saskatchewan and UK
In the morning we had a decent breakfast, hung out at the beach (which is becoming more and more routine now) and left in the afternoon for Mojo's Surf Camp in Coff's Harbour for Christmas Eve Day. We dropped our bags in our rooms which were shipping containers and went for a surf lesson. We were taught how to lay on the board, paddle and get up before going into the water. Once in the water, it hit me that we were spending Christmas Eve surfing with the most amazing people in an amazing town. Oh and a pod of dolphins swam up to us to play around in the water. Merry Christmas indeed!!!




That night we had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner and celebrated with all the people at the Surf Camp!

In the morning I woke up in my glorious shipping container and opened a card I got from my mom. Inside was a picture of my sisters and I during Christmas in 1994! Made me miss everybody back home.


Anyway now for the long drive to Sydney on Christmas Day.

Mo out.


No comments:

Post a Comment